The Tooling Manager develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. Recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods and controls.
The Tooling Manager must be an experienced leader with appropriate industry experience, preferably in the medical device field. An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus. A well organized and self-directed individual who is a team player. An articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in systems
- Work directly with design engineers on new product development.
- Performs research, design, and development of manufacturing processes including production flow, assembly methods, production equipment, and environmental impact
- Designs, develops and tests and/or sources and cost-justify various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency.
- Identify potential environmental aspects and design processes to minimize their impacts.
- Represents manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Responsible for vendor management.
- Computer and computer assisted design (CAD) proficiency.
- Responsible for Tooling Design / Maintenance / DFM approval
- Responsible for specification, procurement, and coordination of maintenance and repair of injection mold tooling for several high volume product lines
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 30 – 40% International Travel
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or years of experience
- 10 + years experience in the field
- Experience in a procurement sourcing and mold processing role preferred
- Medical Device experience preferred
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a 3-6 month time span.
- The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Technical skills in manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, assembly, and production equipment.
- Product development.
- Quality orientation and attention to detail.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player
Required Behavioral Competencies
- Adaptability – Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Builds Partnerships - Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Initiates Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Manages Work – Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Quality Orientation - Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Risk Taking - Initiating action that tries to achieve a recognized benefit or advantage when potential negative consequences are understood.