The summer brings sunshine and fun for you and your little one(s). Some important tips to keep up your milk supply when the air heats up:
- Stay hydrated – drink to thirst, water is best!
- Put on sunscreen – yes, apply as needed but avoid the nipple & areola area; zinc oxide and titanium oxide based are better than chemical based sunscreens; try wearing clothing that are SPF so that you can minimize sunscreen application for both of you.
- Self-tanning lotion can be used but again apply sparingly and avoid the nipple & areola area. Read labels!
- Hair removal – laser, electrolysis & topical hair creams are okay but if using hair creams, be sure to avoid applying to the nipple and areola area. Rinse them off well before breastfeeding or breast pumping.
- Pools – yes, you can swim in a chlorinated pool; if you are extra concerned – just wash your nipple and areola before breastfeeding or pumping; same with hot tubs!
- If pumping, use an effective but light and compact breast pump while you are out and about in the sunshine – try the new Ameda Mya,https://www.ameda.com/product/mya/
Enjoy the summer!
Pamela K. Murphy, PhD, MS, APRN, CNM, IBCLC
Certified nurse-midwife, lactation consultant, OB nurse, educator, healthcare administrator, mother & wife